Wednesday, April 27, 2016

Saying goodbye to a legend - Prince

As everyone has heard, Prince Rogers Nelson (known as Prince and simply The Artist) passed away last week at his home in Minnesota.

I realize that Prince was not for everyone but his talent and his success is well known to pretty much everyone.  Even if he wasn't your thing or your genre, please look at the videos below which display his talent they are certainly worth the watch.

Much to my parents' dismay, I was a huge fan of his from my early teen years up to present day and age.  I drove my parents crazy cranking up his music in my bedroom.  Through the walls they could hear the backbeat of songs like Little Red Corvette, 1999, DMSR and of course his Purple Rain album, I wore out.

On vinyl, I sill have 1999, Purple Rain, Around the World in a Day, Parade, Sign of the Times and Lovesexy (where he appears nude on the cover, was certainly worth the purchase price for that album).

Prince led a very quiet life and typically stayed out of the media.  He loved music and played 27 instruments proficiently.   Also, I've heard it told that he didn't really read music that well, his talent was just a gift...  a very special gift.

He loved his fans and the first video below not only displays his talent on the guitar, but also shows his playful nature when it comes to his fans.  It's an acoustic set of his and he's relaxed and really enjoying himself.

Only 5'2" tall, he was certainly bigger than life when it came to the stage and his ability to recognize true talent and nurture it was remarkable.

The second video I am posting up is a collaboration with Tom Petty and Steve Winwood as they all perform "While My Guitar Gently Weeps".  Prince is on lead guitar in this video and has an amazing solo.

The Third.. well there is a story behind that one...   in 1985 Prince performed at the American Music Awards his Grammy winning hit, Purple Rain.  I taped it on the VCR but wanted to watch it on the big TV live (I was 16 at the time) and my brother (8 years old then) was playing Nintendo on that TV and wouldn't give it up for 5 minutes...

Back then, Nintendo did not have memory cards so my brother left his game running all night so he could pick up where he left off...  well the next day, I got home from school and saw his game running and turned it off....     he came home from school and all hell broke loose....    oh he was angry.

Now I have the video on You Tube and so I get a laugh when I watch it....

To Prince's friends and family my heart goes out to them.  I loved him from afar and I can only imagine how deep his loss effects them.  I know that my heart is broken and the world has lost a fantastic artist and by all reports and all around good person.

Rest in Peace Prince Rogers Nelson, you were loved and you will be missed.






Until next time....

Belle

1 comment:

  1. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete

Comments are not moderated. Disagreement is fine as long as you address the message, not the messenger. In other words, don't be an ass.