Monday, May 6, 2013

Bacon wrapped Bacon

In Nashville last week I had one of the best pork chops I've ever tasted. If you ever get invited to "The Standard", take the opportunity.

One challenge I run into cooking chops is they tend to dry out.  I think "The Standard" found the solution.   Without a doubt, this is not a heart healthy meal, but certainly soothing to the soul.
I've got some black eyed peas queued up for a side.

Two strips of thick applewood bacon wrapped around each chop, and a bit of Tony C's cajun seasoning on top.
We'll see how it comes out; got about 30 more minutes in the oven.
























Update: came out good. Left the chops in the oven a bit long, but bacon heals a world of hurts.














6 comments:

  1. I usually just air on the side of Trichinosis...

    ReplyDelete
  2. There's a B&G out here my roomie and I sometimes frequent.
    They have 1/4 lb. hot dogs (all-some-kind-of-meat (pork? They don't specify all-beef), no filler), wrapped in bacon.
    Then DEEP FRIED!
    I usually have one with cheddar cheese and diced onion, slathered in deli mustard!
    And, a cold draught, of course!

    gfa

    gfa

    ReplyDelete
  3. Two things I've found to help keep pork moist:

    1. Brine it first. Google will provide directions. Works well with pork and I won't cook chicken without brining first unless I don't have a choice. Just be sure to rinse well before you cook.

    2. Don't over cook. In all of the US there are only 10 or so cases of Trich each year and a lot of those come from under cooked game meats. Unless you're eating pork that has been eating raw meat your chances of getting trichinosis are virtually zero.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Never heard of brining before. I'll have to check up on that.

      +1 on over cooking. I usually cook just until done so the pork doesn't dry out. I cut into a piece when I think it's getting close to done, to check on it.
      This night I got a bit distracted.

      Delete

Comments are not moderated. Disagreement is fine as long as you address the message, not the messenger. In other words, don't be an ass.