Sunday, September 30, 2012

buckets, string, rubber bands and paper clips part one

In the early years of our relationship, premarriage, The Lovely Belle and I came home on Friday night to find the temperature and pressure relief valve dripping from the water heater, getting all my good crap in the garage wet.
Belle is smoking a coffin nail in the garage, I'm hanging out eyeing  the dripping water heater.  (it's getting all my good crap wet. I need a way to keep the drip from hitting the floor, me thinks. Water is stressed, it has tension, tends to cling to anything nearby.)
 What do I have in the house to solve this problem? Ah yes.
So I head through the door into our townhouse to find a bucket and some string.
Belle asks where I'm going. "Just wait, you'll see".
So I came out with some string and the mop bucket. Belle asks, "what are you going to do with that?", as I tied a length of string to the TP valve on the water heater.
Cutting the string to about a 6 or 7 foot length, I tied the other end to the bucket handle, and walked it out till I could set it on the floor with the sting pulled taught.
Next drip hit the floor, so I rotated the string loop around the valve a bit till the next drip touched the string.
It went down the string, hit the bucket handle and dripped into the bucket.
Come Saturday, the bucket was almost full, so I emptied it. Sunday the same. Immediate problem solved.
 Monday, I called the landlord to tell him his water heater was leaking.
All my good crap in the garage dried out. Landlord sent a plumber and everything was right in the world again, until undocumented worker gangbangers started moving into the complex.
We moved.


3 comments:

  1. Genious solution! Bravo!!

    "Water is stressed, it has tension, tends to cling to anything nearby" - You just described most of my co-workers. Maybe I should try the string & bucket trick.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I wholeheartedly approve of this solution, but as Red Green says, "spare the duct tape, spoil the job."

    From looking at just the post title, I thought you were going to attempt to build a zip gun.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. lmao. Wow has it been that long since I posted last? what a week it's been.

      My favorite Red Green quote is, "If the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy."

      Delete

Comments are not moderated. Disagreement is fine as long as you address the message, not the messenger. In other words, don't be an ass.