Monday, January 30, 2012

Oh, yeah...I almost forgot

The world is supposed to end...again.  This coming December.
The Mayan Calendar is round. Even if you carved really really really small symbols, eventually you will run out of circle.  Considering how long ago this calendar was carved, it's a safe bet when the Mayan stone carvers ran out of circle, they figured it was Miller Time and they wouldn't have to worry about the calendar again in their lifetimes.
Then, the Spanish showed up and offered to smuggle them through Mexico to high paying jobs the Gringos were offering, off the books, cash..no really, the streets are paved in Gold. (Ok, I'm paraphrasing history a little there).
So, it just happens that when the Mayans ran out of space, the last date happened to land on Dec. 21, 2012.
The only calamity likely to happen is that the descendants of Mayans, still extant today, are likely to exclaim, "sunuvabitch! it's time to carve another one of those damn things!"

4 comments:

  1. Totally agree. I say 12/21/12 is not the END ...12/22/12 is the BEGINNING!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have a heck of a time figuring out what DAY it is, let alone what date...

    I haven't paid much attention to this because, well, because I didn't think it merited it. But I am curious - has this date taken into account the changes the Western calender has gone through?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Nice history lesson. 'Specially how all the Mayans ended up here!

    ReplyDelete
  4. @PH: considering the Mayan Calendar was created independently from the Julian calendar, I suspect the errors and revisions made by the Christian world were of no consequence.
    @CoolChange: My pleasure. All part of the 14 point service here at BAR. Stop by, I'll kick your tires for you.

    ReplyDelete

Comments are not moderated. Disagreement is fine as long as you address the message, not the messenger. In other words, don't be an ass.