Friday, January 6, 2012

I know I haven't posted much lately........

I think that like KX59 the holidays tend to really stress me out, though less holiday related stress for me this year and more work stress.

I changed our payroll company at the office so that it will sync directly in to my accounting software.  I was having to make accounting (journal) entries each week for the payroll, then after having entered the hours for the pay period on the former company's website, I was having to go back and enter them and charge them to jobs in my accounting system.  It was highly inefficient and we were doing twice the work.

This week was my first run with the new company.  It went very smooth and now, once payroll is complete, all I have to do is go into my accounting program and sync with their managed payroll system.  Why it wasn't done like this before, I don't know.

Now, I can rest easy knowing for certain that I did the right thing.  My boss will be thrilled.

When I sit and think about it, I think that I've really accomplished an amazing thing.  I started with this company in July in very unfamiliar territory.  Unfamiliar accounting software, unfamiliar industry and I've never had to do the things that I have to do for this job.

When I got there, no one had sat in my position for more than a month.  I had to sit and figure out how to do things on my own.  I had to figure out the software, which fortunately is very user friendly.  I had to figure out the payroll journal entries, I had to figure out how to calculate worker's comp premiums and a gazillion other things off the top of my head.  I cannot believe that I've actually learned it all and have gotten so settled in to my job.

Now, my stress level has subsided some and hopefully I will have more time for fun stuff like blogging.


2 comments:

  1. It seems you've got a lot on your hands right now, but at the rate you're going with getting used to all these new things your new job has to offer, you impress me.

    -Does this sound like your boss? I hope you hear this from him one day. Good luck with the job!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Just got a license to use QuickBooks in multiple computers! Before setting up, Just install QuickBooks Database Server Manager as this tool provide you assistance in using the QuickBooks in multi-user mode. This is a free tool launched by Intuit.

    ReplyDelete

Comments are not moderated. Disagreement is fine as long as you address the message, not the messenger. In other words, don't be an ass.