Tuesday, January 24, 2012

Pistol Packing.........Question on New Holsters

Well, my new holster from Dragon Leatherworks arrived yesterday. It's a perfect fit for the gun and I can tell that it's very well made.

I went with the Quantum because I can wear it IWB or OWB. I'm wearing it IWB.

Today is my first day to actually wear my gun on my body and I have to admit that it's a little uncomfortable, but I know that it's just something that I have to get used to.

Like any other new leather product, be it shoes, handbag or a baseball glove, you have to break them in. My question for you all today is how do you recommend that I break in my holster?

It's currently a little slow to release my pistol when I unholster my weapon. I hate to think that if I needed to draw it, it would fail me.

My guess is to draw it and put it back, draw it, put it back, etc. etc. Any other suggestions?

4 comments:

  1. I have heard that the Dragon Leather Works Holsters have a good snug fit.

    As for breaking it in the best option is use. Using other products can soften the leather and reduce the retention capabilities of the holster.

    Check out Stingray's Comments on retention over at Atomic Nerds - Dragon Leatherworks Talon Pancake Review
    Excert:
    The grip on the pistol has loosened some by taking the holster into the bathroom with me when I shower a couple times, to let the leather soak up some steam and loosen a little bit, and that will continue to improve over time, but out of the box, attempting to draw gave me a lop-sided wedgie. Dennis said he modeled based off a Colt 1911 A1, which he says has one of the thinnest slides, and given the way leather boning works, even a few thousandths of an inch will make a difference. I fully expect this problem to ease up over time, and it has some already from the steam treatments, but be advised you may wind up ripping your pants off Chippendale-style if you’re unfortunate enough to find yourself in an oh-shit situation immediately after buying.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Heya!

    Thanks much for the blog mention! The Quantum is the stiffest holster I make, and as such will take longest to break in. As Teke said, the best break in is wearing it as much and as often as you can. Drawing and reholstering really only helps to slick down the inside of the holster to smooth it out, and I've treated the inside of the Quantum so as to decrease the friction. At this point, the leather simply needs to stretch to conform to yor body shape at your chosen carry position.

    From here on out, it needs time to take on a new shape. :-)

    Regards,

    Dennis aka: Dragon

    ReplyDelete
  3. What they said + lather, rinse, repeat.
    Do 100 presentations/day for a while. Not only will it make the holster 'serviceable', but help with your muscle memory.
    'Slow is smooth and smooth is fast.' - someone famous

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thank you all for the the comments!
    Dragon, I really do love the holster and the customer service was awesome.
    I will be doing a much more detailed post with photos included this evening when I get home from the office. I will email you the link once I do this and will include a link to your site as well.

    I'm just so excited.

    ReplyDelete

Comments are not moderated. Disagreement is fine as long as you address the message, not the messenger. In other words, don't be an ass.