Saturday, December 24, 2011

Christmas in July........

I was telling this story to the hubby and he requested that I re-tell it here. Here goes.....

I am almost 8 years older than my younger brother. For the first years of my life I was not only an only child, but I was the only grandchild on BOTH sides of my family. Needless to say, I was everyone's darling and maybe a little on the spoiled side.

When my brother came along, I was happy but a part of me was I'm sure a bit on the jealous side as well, which considering the circumstances, who could blame me.

That being said, I love my baby brother very much but I would sometimes play the role of Lucy (Peanuts) when it came to our relationship.

I am very much my father's daughter. I love a good laugh and I love a practical joke. Usually it was dad pulling the jokes on me (removing a starter from a gas grill that was broken he said,"here baby, hold on to these two wires for me"...... he presses the button to the gas grill starter and I got a heck of a shock in my finger tips.... "nope, that's not the problem".... an hour later, little brother walks in the room.... I pick up the starter.... "here lil bro hold on to these two wires for me"...... he screams and I end up getting yelled at by mom while dad is laughing his head off... of course I digress)

So with all of this in mind........... My brother had gotten into my room and broke something or other and so I decided that I would pay him back.

I woke up early on a Saturday and went into his room and said, "Wake up! Santa Claus came!"

My brother who was about 8 at the time, jumps out of bed and runs into the living room where my dad is sitting there having a cup of coffee and reading the paper.

Brother looks around and sees no presents.... he immediately drops to his knees and lets out this blood-curdling squeal.

Daddy, who was startled and nearly jumped out of his skin, looked at him and said very loudly, "WHAT THE HELL IS THE MATTER WITH YOU BOY?!!"

Brother cried, "Santa didn't bring any presents!"

Daddy said to him, "Hell no he didn't bring presents! It's July!... go on back to bed!"

My brother went back to bed and my dad looked at me and said, "What the hell was THAT all about?!"

I said, "I don't know, he must have been dreaming."

I wish I would have told my dad what really had happened but I never fessed up. I know that years later he would have gotten a kick out of it.

Now, you all will probably think that I was a mean person and I promise you, I wasn't. I was only mean when provoked.

I did pick on my brother from time to time, but heaven help anyone other than me that would pick on him because I would have beat their ass.

Merry Christmas Y'all!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments are not moderated. Disagreement is fine as long as you address the message, not the messenger. In other words, don't be an ass.