Sunday, February 6, 2011

Here They Go Again



Once again the folks at the NFL choose the wrong singer to sing The Star Spangled Banner.

Christina Agulara slaughtered it with too many ups and downs on the notes. Why can't these singers just sing the song like it should be sung? Why do they all have to add all those crazy notes?

Hubby says that it's to cover up the fact that they can't sing well enough to hold the notes, I think that he's on to something.

Dolly Parton, while adds a little bit of her own flavor to it, sings it like it should be sung. I love Dolly, she's one of my favorite female singers ever. She's lovely, sweet, smart and very talented.






It's just perdy!

1 comment:

  1. I have a similar observation:

    I see/hear a lot of anthems, especially doing sporting events in other countries...

    When in Finland, or Spain or Greece, or pretty much anywhere else, the crowd sings along, usually with some gusto, with their national anthem singer...
    As a rule, Americans have gotten away from singing the anthem, not because of a lack of patriotism or enthusiasm, but because it's impossible to sing along while the singer is going through his/her vocal calisthenics.
    Oddly spaced phrasing, bizarre note changes, and random note-holding makes it impossible.
    I &^$#@*ing hate it when someone like "Xtina" (from the sign on the door of her dressingroom/trailer) does the anthem. It just sounds horrible.

    But I'll tell you, hearing The Star Spangled Banner played in China or Tokyo provokes some pretty strong emotions in me...
    When I've been out of the country for 3 weeks and I hear the the anthem it never fails to choke me up.

    TBG
    www.listen2unclejay.com

    ReplyDelete

Comments are not moderated. Disagreement is fine as long as you address the message, not the messenger. In other words, don't be an ass.