Sunday, November 21, 2010

The Bucket and the String

My husband is such a character.  They always say that you end up with someone who is like your father, if you're a woman, and if you're a man, like your mother.  I am a classic example of this theory.

My dad was a classic jack of all trades, but he was a master of many.  He did have a funny way of rigging things up to fix them in a pinch.  The best one, I think was a wire hanger sticking out of the lawn mower engine, why I don't know, but it was there to fix something or other and we got a few good years out of that mower.  My dad could fix about anything, though and that's one of the best memories of him that I have.

My husband, who is downstairs as we speak experimenting on painting techniques for his van, is another one that can fix about anything, especially if he has a book in his hands.  He re-built a transmission from a book, and he rebuilt a lower unit on a boat, again from a book.  The man is a genius.  His boss calls him MacGyver because once he fixed a cabinet drawer with a rubber band and a paper clip.  To quote a movie, 6 days 7 nights, he's one of those guys with skills, that can build you a shopping mall with a q-tip and pocket knife.

When my husband and I were dating, his hot water heater for the townhouse was leaking onto the shelf on which it sat.  Fearful that it would rot the wooden shelf and cause a whole other problem, my husband decided to fix it.  He goes into the house and comes back with a bucket and a string.

Puzzled, I asked him, "what are you going to do with that?"  He said, "Just watch."

He tied the end of the string around the spicket that was leaking then stretched it tight and tied the other end to the bucket handle.  Then, he maneuvered the bucket to where the string was directly under the drip.  I'll be damned if that water didn't roll right down the string and drip in the bucket!

I know it sounds simple, but I was amazed and impressed.  I think that was the moment that I knew that I was going to marry that man.  I was over the moon in love with him as it was, but that instance really sealed the deal.

I am a lucky woman.  I'm not really sure what I did to deserve him, but I'm thankful just the same.

Until next time.

1 comment:

  1. the bucket and string were to control a dripping leak from the temperature and pressure relief valve on the water heater, which was splattering and getting boxes of files wet. The lovely Belle gives me too much credit. I come up with a good idea every now and then, but I follow directions really well.

    ReplyDelete

Comments are not moderated. Disagreement is fine as long as you address the message, not the messenger. In other words, don't be an ass.