Friday, November 19, 2010

Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows.........

I have been reading the Harry Potter books for years, and I've seen every movie to date.  All of the books are fantastic and well written.  As the series gets more involved and the books get longer, how Ms. Rawlings managed to keep up with all the twists and turns is amazing to me.

Movies rarely do a book justice.  Hollywood has a way of trimming down a book to where you end up disappointed.  There are a few rare exceptions, but for the most part, a movie is never is good as the book.

In the Harry Potter movies, the first three movies were pretty close to the books, of course the books are shorter than the last four.  Once Goblet of Fire hit the theater, I was sorely disappointed because they cut out so many important details that had I never read the book I would have been left confused.  As it was I was merely let down.

After that let down, I still went to see the Order of the Phoenix and The Half Blood Prince in theaters, in hopes that Hollywood would either, make a longer movie with an intermission or maybe do them in two parts, releasing them within a couple of months of one another.  They, of course did not, and I went from feeling let down, to annoyed, to finally, disgusted.

The special effects in Goblet, Phoenix and Prince were outstanding, but there was just too much missing from the movies that are crucial to the connection of it all.

Loyal Harry Potter fan that I am, I decided to go and watch The Deathly Hallows, glad that they did it in two parts, but without getting my hopes up.  I have to say that I walked out of the theater very pleasantly surprised and excited for the next part to come out.  Hollywood, finally got it right!  While there are missing bits in this movie, all in all, I think that they have done well.

The movie is long, so I suggest that you use the restroom before you go in and buy a small drink rather than a large.  You don't want to miss a minute of this one.  The special effects are fantastic and the kids (now all grown up) are much better actors.  There are laughs, (when Harry, Ron and Hermione are at Mr. Lovegood's house drinking tea, watch the look on Ron and Hermione's faces when they sip their tea in the background, it's funny) and there are moments that will make you cry, there are scary moments as well and parts that will make you jump out of your seat.

Warning, this is not a movie for little kids.  I do not suggest taking your elementary school kids to see this movie.  There are a couple of risqué scenes (though mildly so) that aren't kid appropriate and like I said, there are some scary parts as well.

All in all, I give this movie a huge thumbs up.  I'm so ready for the final movie!

Until next time.......

No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments are not moderated. Disagreement is fine as long as you address the message, not the messenger. In other words, don't be an ass.