Monday, May 23, 2011

this guy rocks, Thanks Sabra

Sabra posted about Hayes Carll over at her place.
If you like Robert Earl Keen's darker side, or Steve Earl, or just like good driving music, this will get you going about 85.
The video is a studio session. You can tell they nailed it long before it's done, and certainly by their reaction at the end. As Ray Wiley Hubbard put it, he's got a little band that is hotter than a rocket.

A postscript:
After watching the video 4 or 5. Ok, ten times, one of Sabra's comments came back to me. If you are "overly patriotic" as she puts it, the lyrics might put you off. For me, the context for the song resonates from the Vietnam days, from which I just missed the draft by a year or two. I thought that war would never end. I grew up with it. A song with a similar sentiment, Steve Earl's "Copperhead Road" strikes a chord in my heart on several levels.
Personally, the lyrics don't upset me. I interpret music as it suits me.
I hear the voices of the greatest generation, many of which felt the same way, scared, thinking what the hell am I doing here? But then, I'm a WW2 history junkie..and I choose to interpret music as I see fit.




1 comment:

  1. "Personally, the lyrics don't upset me. I interpret music as it suits me.
    I hear the voices of the greatest generation, many of which felt the same way, scared, thinking what the hell am I doing here? But then, I'm a WW2 history junkie..and I choose to interpret music as I see fit."

    Well said Sir! We all interpret lyrics in our on way. Being "overly patriotic" is left to definition. The same as lyrics.

    Copperhead Road IS a song that resonates for me. On several levels. I will leave that one alone. For now.

    ReplyDelete

Comments are not moderated. Disagreement is fine as long as you address the message, not the messenger. In other words, don't be an ass.