Friday, May 13, 2011

Thoughts on conceal and open carry....

At this point in time, I do not have a license to conceal carry, in fact, I don't even own a pistol just yet.  Most of you out there know that I had not fired a weapon for around 15 years before recently taking up shooting again.

The Tokorev sat in my closet close to a decade before I really took interest in picking up a gun again.  Why did I stop?  Well, the fact of the matter is that I had only one rifle, a .22 but sold it to a friend because I was paranoid having it in the house being a very young (19) and new mother and all.  I regret selling that gun, but I digress.

I never bought a handgun of my own because quite frankly, I couldn't afford one.  I lived paycheck to paycheck for most of my adult life and so I spent my money on other things, such as food and clothing for my daughters, a roof over our heads and other things that were more important at the time.

One thing that I have found, as I look back over the years, had I just not bought things that were bad for me, such as cigarettes or beer, or gone out dancing as often as I did, I could have easily saved up the money to buy myself a pistol and would have much better skill with it than I do today.  I was young and had other things on my mind.

Now, while finances are tight since I left my job and we have two kids in college at the moment, as soon as I am back to work and settled in, I will buy that pistol that I've wanted for oh so long.  The question is, will I try to get my CHL?  Do I really want that responsibility?  When exercising such a right, one takes on an enormous amount of responsibility.

I do know that I would never conceal a gun in my purse.  That's just asking for trouble.  I mean, if someone snatches your purse, your gun is snatched with it.  Just what we need is another gun in the hands of another criminal.  Also, god forbid I were to have to actually defend myself, reaching into my purse for my gun is not my idea of efficient or fast, especially considering that my purse is always full of.....  stuff.  No, I would keep my gun concealed on my body so that I can easily access it if need be.

One thing that I have noticed is that I am becoming more aware of which businesses in my area allow licensed gun owners to carry in their establishments.  I've found that it's more than you would think.  The sign on the grocery store where I do my shopping states, "The unlicensed carrying of a firearm on the premises is unlawful," which tells me that yes you can carry as long as you're licensed.

So what about open carry?

While I completely agree with HB2756, on a personal level, I believe that it's unwise to open carry the main reason being explained in the next paragraph.

Why attract attention?  Have you ever noticed that the person that runs around town showing off and bragging that they are 'unbeatable' at something, always ends up getting challenged?  To me, open carry, while may keep some at bay, may also entice someone to try and take that weapon from you and use it against you.

Now, I'm not worried about scaring old ladies and small children if I have my gun in open view, guns aren't dangerous in the hands of the responsible.

It's more about not making myself a target.  I have always been proud of the fact that I am not, nor have I ever been what they call, "easy prey".  I'm always aware of my surroundings and I carry myself well, I do not make myself a target and I wonder if having a gun in plain view would change that.

This of course brings me back to the question of whether I will be obtaining my CHL once I buy a pistol?  I don't know the answer to that question.  The Libertarian in me says, "No way!  I will hold out for a Constitutional Carry bill to pass in Texas, it shouldn't be too far behind."  The other part of me says, "most definitely because you never know when you may need to defend yourself or those whom you love and cherish."

I guess I will find out that answer for sure after I get a pistol.  Whatever I decide to do, I know that it will be the right choice for me.





3 comments:

  1. Do as you feel comfortable. If you're not, you won't do it.
    Please read as many things regarding Open Carry v. CCW as you can. This will help you to form an opinion that fits you. (I posted an Open Carry post on 5/7...hint) But look around, and continue to read. gfa

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm for freedom of choice and I'm for freedom to open carry.

    Reason. I hate having to keep my jacket/sports coat on at restaurants when I sit down to eat. I'd just as soon be able to take off my coat and not have the black helicopter storm-trooper suburban SWAT teams come crashing through the windows because my gun is sitting docilely in its holster on my belt/hip.

    Same for when I get out of the pickup or car to fill up with gas.

    I was a lawman for a few years when I got out of the military way back. No one ever challenged me for my weapon--even though our "uniform" was basically starched jeans, button-down shirts, Stetson or Resistol hats and a neat little circle-star badge with an eagle on it hanging off our belt right next to our guns.

    I've spent a decent amount of time in Arizona as well--enough so that when I see someone open-carrying, I don't even give them a second glance. Likewise, I've noticed none of the locals do either.

    I understand the argument for "I don't want bad guys to know I'm armed--I want to surprise them" mentality, and I have no beef with it.

    But I'd sure like to be able to take my coat off inside the restaurant. . .

    --AOA

    ReplyDelete
  3. When I got my pistol I wasn't considering my CHL. took 2 years and I was all in for the CHL. Now I don't leave home without it.
    Our town is really good about not being posted. I thought I would have had more places off limits. So far the only places I have seen signs is Bars and Katy Mills and a few stores I won't frequent. Jared is one.
    However I do find that I am taking it off quite often at my kids school and wife's work (School).
    I ride bus downtown and no problems there either.

    ReplyDelete

Comments are not moderated. Disagreement is fine as long as you address the message, not the messenger. In other words, don't be an ass.