Monday, April 4, 2011

Dive bombed.......

I had pulled into the neighborhood on my way home from work today when I saw this poor cat walking along the sidewalk being dive-bombed by a nesting mockingbird.

Mockingbirds are the Texas state bird, not sure why we chose the mockingbird, other than they are, by nature ornery and very territorial.

That poor cat was trying to get away from the diving bird and all I could do is laugh as it reminded me of a time I had with my dad.

My father loved a good prank, he pulled numbers on everyone.  If you knew dad, there was no escaping a prank from him.  Even if you were a cat.

My mom's cat, Corkey was walking across the street and was getting dive-bombed by, you guessed it, a mockingbird.  Dad and I were in the front yard sitting in lawn chairs, laughing as poor Corkey was trying to escape the birds.

Finally, the cat makes it to cover, which unfortunately for him, was under my dad's lawn chair.  With a twinkle in his eye and a wink, daddy got Corkey out from under the chair and hauled him back out to the street and ran away laughing.

Poor Corkey had to escape the bird again.  At least he was smart enough to go under the car instead of dad's chair.

My dad was a character, but before you think that he was a mean person, just know that he was an amazing man who loved his family and loved his friends.  I cannot think of a single person that knew my dad that didn't like him.  He passed away in 96 of cancer and there's not a day that passes by that I don't miss him.


1 comment:

  1. Sorry for your loss, but it was a nice story to hear and very nice words of your dad. That is wonderful to share like that.

    ReplyDelete

Comments are not moderated. Disagreement is fine as long as you address the message, not the messenger. In other words, don't be an ass.