Monday, April 11, 2011

Range Report from the Belle

All I can say about the Tokorev is wow!

She is a fabulous weapon.  The recoil wasn't near as bad as I thought it would be.  I wish that I would have had better aim, but I didn't do so bad considering it's been more than 15 years since I've fired a long gun.

In my usual style, though I have got to spend a little time describing the experience at the range today.

I can not describe to you the laugh that I felt in my gut when I took that Tokorev out of her case and laid her on the bench.  What was even more delightful was the look on the faces of the people around me.

Admittedly, having all eyes on me while I loaded the magazine was a little unnerving.  I was thinking to myself, "god I hope that I don't do something really idiotic here and make a fool of myself."  No worries there.  I loaded up the magazine and popped it in, pulled the bolt back and released it, the first round now in the chamber.

The wind, of course kicks up as I take aim, my heart was pounding because I had no idea exactly how hard it was going to kick.  Firm grip, stock tightly against my shoulder, deep breath, exhale slowly, shot lined up, pull the trigger, instant shooty goodness.

I did have some troubles with the magazine again and I'm not sure why.  What I've found is that if I only load about 5 rounds in it, she does just fine.  I fired off about 30 shots today and I can feel it a little in my shoulder but I seriously doubt that I'll bruise.

So as I'm shooting my precious Natasha, folks are laying down their AR15s or whatever "assault" rifles they were shooting and gathering behind me and watching.  They were teenage boys ranging from about 17 to 19.  While I would reload, they would come over and of course ask questions which I would answer.

The beautiful thing about it was that I offered them to take a shot if they wanted but they were genuinely surprised and happy that I asked.  Only one of them took me up on it, the range marshal.

Anyway, like I said, I wish that I would have shot a little better today, but I suppose that like anything else, it takes practice and practice I shall.

Click on the photo to zoom it and see what I bad shot I was today.. LOL.





Yes I do need practice.  My shots are on the bottom.  the E target.

Not so good, but the range marshal didn't do much better.. heh.




10 comments:

  1. "gathering behind me and watching. They were teenage boys ranging from about 17 to 19."

    They were not even noticing the Tokorev...

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm old enough to be their mother. Trust me, it was the Tokorev.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Group's good--nothing at all to be ashamed of, in fact. Just a bit left, but that's fixable.

    If I recall--and please correct me if I'm wrong--the Tokarev's rear sight is not adjustable for windage. (If it is, move ir a bit to the right and you'll be golden.)

    So move the front sight a bit to the LEFT and you should be spang on and outshooting those kids with the ARs.

    ReplyDelete
  4. What was the distance you were shooting from? Regardless, I agree, you've simply got a bit of a windage problem, do try the sight adjustment's meintoned by ML and all should resolve itself. From your picture I'd have to say you'd be hard pressed to be old enough to be the mother of a 17 or 19 year old.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm almost 43, and started young. I have 2 grandkids. The photo was taken while ago, a decade or so I think. I've aged a little.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Puleez! You're a redhead? 'Older' woman? with a cool gun? They were attracted to the gun, but came to look at you!
    Tokarev, smokarev!
    Glad you had fun!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I'll second [most] of what Guffaw says.

    43 is when women start to be women.

    ReplyDelete
  8. For the most part women who are healthy and take care of themselves often do not look their actual age in this era. Genetics also have some bearing as well, but more importantly poise and bearing mean more. It would appear the efforts made to be open and frienly on the range were appreciated and that all involved liked the lady who took the time to speak with them. That's how to gain positive attention as well as respect.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Enough of that you're embarrassing me. Anyhow it was a fun day at the range and looking forward to the next time.

    ReplyDelete

Comments are not moderated. Disagreement is fine as long as you address the message, not the messenger. In other words, don't be an ass.