Thursday, April 21, 2011

That time of year again

Tonight I get to attend a recertification class.  You see, 6 weeks out of every summer for the past 11 years, I get up early on Saturday mornings to go to swim meets and referee.

Two of my daughters were on the team when they were younger, but for the past 3 or 4 years, I have not had a kid on the team.

So why do I do it?  For the kids.  The age groups range from under 6 years old to 18.  I have watched the older kids grow up over the years so it makes it all the more nice.

Naturally, my inner curmudgeon surfaces during this time period and I grumble about having to wake up so early on a Saturday, but honestly?  I really do love it.  I guess it's just my little way of giving back to my community, heh, who says that Libertarians are heartless?



2 comments:

  1. Back when I was more physically able, I too, contributed to the community. I introduced shooting to many persons, usually one or two at a time. The vast majority went on to be gun owners and carriers! Anything one can do. Now, I just blog about it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've found that blogging is a good outlet and I was really surprised that folks are actually interested in what I have to say, whether it's about politics, guns or just a funny story.

    ReplyDelete

Comments are not moderated. Disagreement is fine as long as you address the message, not the messenger. In other words, don't be an ass.