Saturday, April 2, 2011

I think I found my soul mate.........

Well, other than KX59.  He's the true deal.

Seriously though, I went to the range today and fired a Smith & Wesson M&P and a Springfield XDM.  

I really liked both guns, but the Springfield felt really good in my hands, a very comfortable gun to shoot.

I need all you gunnies out there to let me know your opinion on the reliability of those two guns.  Both were nice to shoot and I did enjoy the Glock 19 from Monday night.

What I didn't like about the Glock was the way the grip felt in my hands.  It was boxy and bulky and more difficult to control, though not uncontrollable.  I have heard a lot of good things about the Glock as far as reliability is concerned though.

The Smith & Wesson M&P felt really nice and was easy to control.  I shot well with it which is important and I was totally comfortable at the range today.

The Springfield, however, was love at first shot.  I know you all can relate to what I mean.  Sometimes you pick up a weapon (this goes for darts as well) and you shoot it and it just feels right.  This is how I felt with the Springfield.  I'll be doing a little research on the gun but I really would like some opinions on the reliability of it.

Meanwhile, I'm still trying to convince the hubster to come with me tomorrow to take Natasha out for a run at the range.  I really don't want to fire her alone for the first time.  Maybe y'all can help me out and tell him that a good husband takes a couple hours out of his day to take his wife to the range.  (Maybe he'll buy that, yeah that's the ticket).





5 comments:

  1. Personally? I've really cooled off on the XDs.

    1) Springfield will not sell OEM spare parts.

    2) If the grip safety breaks or malfs, the slide is locked shut; the gun disabled. If it happens with a live round in the chamber...

    3) Most trainers who run high round-count courses are down on them, saying that they haven't seen many go the distance. Similarly, at the higher levels of competition, where shooters put serious mileage on their guns, XDs get pretty thin on the ground compared to Glocks and M&Ps.

    Between the XD and the M&P, personally, I'd go with the M&P.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Tam, reliability, durability and longevity are very key to me. Smith & Wesson has been around for a very long time and they have a good reputation.

    While the M&P wasn't as 'comfortable' to shoot for me, it was still very easy to control. I could easily get comfortable with it over time.

    Knowing that competitors and instructors are moving away from the XD, is very helpful.

    ReplyDelete
  3. M&P all the way. Have fun with it. Beats any Block... Glock hands down.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Also, if the grip on the Glock wasn't comfortable or was too big for proper control, then it's not the one for you.

    I'm glad you've found your firearm though!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Back in my fed lawman days, I happened to also be a federal firearms instructor and having been involved in several exchanges of angry bullets between the white hats and the black hats, got tapped in the late 80's to be on the "what new gun do we want to buy and issue to our new baby agents?" team.

    Dream assignment. Played with ALL the cool handguns made by every brand imaginable, except for Llama. No Llama will ever touch these hands of mine, but that's another story.

    Glocks were a strong contender, and of course, with Smyrna being up the road from FLETC (Georgia), there was no shortage of helpful assistance from the Glock folks.

    Let me say this: I don't know if I'll ever own a Glock. However, of all the guns we tested, those things were THE most reliable and indestructable firearms I had ever dealt with in my life, including time spent in the military.

    We abused those poor Glocks (17, 17L and 19 were all that were out at the time) in ways that would make you sick, and yet they'd come up firing every time, all the time.

    But still. . . I've just never warmed up to them. They feel funny in my hand, they shoot funny (to me), I do not like having the "safety" on the trigger, I absolutely hate the trigger--even with the 5lb LE trigger mod you can do on it--and did I mention that they just feel funny to me.

    As a daily or even occasional carry gun? No way. No Glock for me. As a gun I'm walking into combat with? Glock is my first choice.

    Go figure.

    I'd go with the M&P.

    --AOA

    ReplyDelete

Comments are not moderated. Disagreement is fine as long as you address the message, not the messenger. In other words, don't be an ass.