Wednesday, February 22, 2012

Happy Anniversary

I was reading a very wonderful article over at North's place and I suddenly realized that Monday night marked the 14th anniversary of the first date with my better half.

As I may have mentioned before, the hubby and I used to work together, which is how we met.  We didn't know each other on a personal level all that well, but we had attended parties and office happy hours and had a pretty good idea that we enjoyed conversing with one another.

What I didn't know is that at some point, he took notice of me (will let him elaborate on that some other time).

One day, me and a friend of mine in the office went to lunch and he came out of the closet to me (which I informed him that I already figured as much) and we were talking about dating and other stuff and the conversation went as follows:

Me:  I really just need to find myself a good man and settle down.
Jim:  Well what about Kx59?  He's single, handsome, smart.
Me:  Kx59??  Well, yes  he's very good looking, has a great smile, a good sense of humor, but I don't know that we have anything in common and not to mention he doesn't even know I exist.
Jim:  Well, you just never know Belle, remember his last girlfriend sat at your desk, maybe it's fate!

That very same day, Kx comes walking up to the front where I was relieving the receptionist for a break and informed me he was leaving to take his daughter to get her allergy shots.  Before he left, he asked what I was doing Friday night.  I told him that I had my daughters but might could get a sitter...  he asked me to go to the Houston Rodeo with him and that Alan Jackson was playing.

Of course, my mother wasn't one that really babysat on the weekends for me but wow, she didn't hesitate to say yes when I told her that one of the architects in the office wanted to take me to the Rodeo.  I laugh about it but I had dated with some real gems in my time so it's no surprise that she was so willing.

So it was off to the Rodeo we went.  It was a nice evening which included a trip to Papasitos where he had dinner and I, not wanting to assume it was a date, only had chips and salsa and a couple of beers since my budget was very tight at the time.

I was dressed up in my standard cowboy attire which included white Rocky Mountain jeans, boots, hat and a black and white blouse when dipped low in the back.  Apparently Kx liked that and when the performance started, he put his hand on my back and I can remember the jolt of electricity that shot through me, all the way to my toes when his hand touched my skin.

All I could do at that point was sit up straight and not make a move as I still didn't know if it was really a date and we did have to work together come Monday, and the fact that another architect and his wife were sitting right behind us and so I didn't want any rumors to start (ha).  In the middle of the performance the other couple left and then I relaxed a little and hubby still had his hand on my back and I leaned into him a bit, resting up against his shoulder.

After the show was over, we had the task of finding his jeep in the parking lot.  It was cold outside, and we held hands.  Eventually we found the Jeep and he dropped me off at my car which was still at the office.  We talked for a little bit, then said good night.  After a long look into each other's eyes, I slipped out of the passenger's seat, got into my car and made the drive home.

On the way home, this song came on the radio and I immediately thought of him with a smile on my face.


 


I knew that there had been an unbelievable amount of chemistry there and after a couple of weeks, we went out again and it proved to be true.  Before we knew it we were in a whirlwind of dating, and an emtional and physical intensity that I would have never believed to be possible.

So to my beloved Kx59, thank you for the 14 years of love and devotion.  I know that at first I did the best I could to chase you away, thanks for not running.  You have been my heart and soul and I consider myself the luckiest woman on the planet.  Simply put, I love you and Happy Anniversary even if it's a couple days late.

2 comments:

  1. Electricity and chemistry. Who knew love was so scientific! :-)

    Thanks for your kind words.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Of course! What do you think 'She Blinded Me With Science is About?'.. ;-)

    ReplyDelete

Comments are not moderated. Disagreement is fine as long as you address the message, not the messenger. In other words, don't be an ass.