Wednesday, August 17, 2011

More on Top Shot A Suggestion for History Channel

In the comments section of my previous post, Maura makes a comment about being disappointed that the women shooters didn't do well.

I realize that shooting, in general, and shows about shooting is geared toward the male audience; however, more and more women are taking up arms and learning to shoot.   When I go to the gun range, I notice that there is always at least one lady shooting, other than myself.  I think this is fantastic!

It seems to me that each season of Top Shot, the guys try and get rid of the girl right off the bat.  Season two, a girl lasted close to half way in the season; however, her team kept winning the challenges.  As soon as they lost their first match, they voted her to go to the elimination round, and unfortunately for her, it was an Archery match.

I realize that these matches take a certain amount of speed, agility and strength and by and large, women are not as fast, strong and are more prone to panic than our male counterparts.  (yes, I know that this is not always the case, however, biologically speaking, it's safe to say that it's the norm)

I think that The History Channel should do one of two things:  perhaps they should have 8 men and 8 women on the show, then do a blind draw between each sex, determining which team they are on.  You would have 4 men and 4 women on each team.  Another option would be, as a trial run to see how the viewership would be, do a 'Lady Top Shot' edition.

All of that said, it really is a great show and so far, I have decided that I am hoping that self taught Justin takes it all.  We will see.

6 comments:

  1. I wonder how many women have watched these two episodes and now are tuning out?

    If a female potential shooter thinks shooting is a boys only club, Top Shot just helped push her away.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Before the season started, I was contacted by a promoter who is helping to promote Top Shot. Apparently, he was aware of my blog. I've sent him an email linking this post in hopes that he will pass it on to the History Channel and the folks who are producing Top Shot.

    Actually, I have several ideas running around in my brain about touching the female shooter audience but am sure it will most likely fall on deaf ears. What do I know, right?

    ReplyDelete
  3. I find myself helping female shooters a bit. Certainly only on a small scale, not a TV show. But I would like to know what you are thinking. Email me (only if you want) - address on my blog sidebar under "about".

    ReplyDelete
  4. will do that when I'm at lunch.. :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. I agree. Even though I'm not a fan of the show.
    When I was shooting IPSC (25+ years ago), I asked why the women didn't compete equally with the men?
    I was given a BS answer.
    If God indeed did create Man (and Woman) and Col. Colt made them equal, why the hell not?

    ReplyDelete
  6. Belle: Did you get my reply? Or did the filter eat it?

    ReplyDelete

Comments are not moderated. Disagreement is fine as long as you address the message, not the messenger. In other words, don't be an ass.