Sunday, September 11, 2011

Maybe it's just me.......

but my emotions have gravitated from sadness to aggravated to just plain pissed off.

Leading up to this day in history, I've been reflecting on where I was on 9/11, what I was doing, and the realization that it's up to each and every one of us to ensure our civil liberties and the knowing of how precious life, liberty and the pursuit of happiness truly is.

A few minutes ago, those reflections have turned into anger and disgust.  I've been watching the footage from Ground Zero today listening to various speeches and hearing names of those who met an awful fate read aloud.  The ceremony started out touching then as it went on and on, it became more and more.....   I can't even really say the right word to describe the feeling.

Knowing that first responders and clergy were not permitted to be there or speak was bad enough, but then to hear a President who has done everything he can to cripple this nation's economy and to do everything he can to apologize for this great nation's acts of the past, stand there and give multiple references to God and to read from the Bible.....   it disgusted me.

Then fast-forward to Rudy Guilliani's reading of lyrics from The Byrds and then Paul Simon singing is when I had to just find something else to watch.....   the reason is how inappropriate it seems to me, to have lyrics read and a musician/smelly hippie left over from an America-hating era, sing on this day, at that ceremony, is just way too much for me to handle.

The feeling started out Friday night when I was playing my usual dart tournament.  There was a live band there, they were pretty good and they were playing some good tunes.  After midnight, they called for a moment of silence in remembrance of those who died in the attacks.  After the silence was over, they played a rendition of Jimmy Hendrix's version of the Star Spangled Banner..........    I was pissed.

In fact, I was so pissed off that had I had just a couple more beers in me, I might have gone up to the idiot on the guitar and given him a music history lesson.  You see, Jimmy Hendrix did not play that version of our national anthem out of love of country, but out of hate.  He purposely distorted the tune to represent the division of our country at the time.

While granted, I will say that our country is divided; however, on 9-11-2001, we were united.  Playing that song after a moment of silence was, while well intended a foul move on their part.  I can't really say that they played that out of disrespect, but they did it out of total ignorance.

I realize that this post may be inappropriate in itself because after all, 9/11 isn't all about me; however, it many ways it has affected us all and in ways that we could have never imagined.


No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments are not moderated. Disagreement is fine as long as you address the message, not the messenger. In other words, don't be an ass.