Wednesday, June 1, 2011

Birds of a Feather

Well, I have good news and bad news.

I'll go with the bad news first.  The baby bird that fell out of its nest did not survive.  He has been laid to rest on the side of the house in my ivy that grows by the fence.  Poor little guy, but my darling social Darwinist hubby rightfully says that if he can't stay in the nest, well, that's just natural selection.

The good news is that the other day when the hubby and I were leaving the coast, we spotted a bald eagle.  I thought I had seen one in the neighborhood down there about a year ago, but thought that I was going nuts.  Well, I am not going nuts, it was definitely a bald eagle.

Bald eagles have been showing up in the Houston Suburbs as well.  There are about 4 nests up in the Woodlands and they've been showing up in places like Baytown and Sugarland as well.  It's nice that they're around, there's something really majestic about watching those beautiful birds in flight.

The first time I ever saw a Bald Eagle was when I was in the Seattle area visiting friends.  We were at some park and they were out and about, doing what I love to do most (fishing) and what a sight that is.  I learned that they fly way high to hunt so that the fish can't see their shadow on the water, then when they spot their prey in the water, they dive straight down and grab them up in their talons.  It's really incredible.

So now, I'm sitting here on the couch, my granddaughter, who spent the night last night, just woke up and she's laying her head on my shoulder, watching me type, patiently waiting for me to cook her breakfast.  Life is good.

2 comments:

  1. I'm with your better half...
    Survival of the fittest.

    I understand the Great Explorer get-me-out-of-this-nest can-do attitude, but then you better be able to survive the fall, fend off cats and other predators, and generally be a badass.

    But, if you scoop up every fallen chick or traffic-injured fawn, you are keeping them out of the great Circle of Life (Disney TM).
    Buzzards gotta eat too.

    Kinda like that lizard out there in the llano that's mucking up the oil drilling...
    If you can't adapt, or at least move to another sand dune, that's just too damned bad.

    (Sadly, I have this same attitude regarding social programs in the US and all over the world. Humanitarian Aid does nothing but encourage weakening of the gene pool.
    There is nothing wrong with kindness and compassion, and I have my charitable causes, but to encourage generation after generation here and abroad with free food, housing and actual cash money all from someone else's pocket, well... we're not doing ourselves any favors.)

    TBG

    ReplyDelete
  2. I don't disagree with you one bit, TBG. I'm a bit of a social Darwinist myself, though it still makes me feel sad when a chick falls from the nest to meet a sad, slow death.

    Though, it doesn't make me feel bad enough to halt progress over it.

    ReplyDelete

Comments are not moderated. Disagreement is fine as long as you address the message, not the messenger. In other words, don't be an ass.