Sunday, June 19, 2011

Happy Father's Day

Aside from my own dad, I think that my husband is the most loving and nurturing father that I've ever known.

I look at my better half and I can't help but thank my lucky stars that fate led me to him, even though the price I paid for finding him was almost too much. Let me explain.

I lost my dad to cancer. Really it was not just the cancer that got him, but the chemo that made him wither away bit by bit. My dad was so sick and thin toward the end, that he didn't even look like the same man that he was a year prior to that.

I've mentioned before that dad would always help me work on my cars. Well, I had a very old Datsun Sentra (before they became Nissan) that needed brakes. I went and bought what I needed and asked my dad to sit in the lawn chair and watch me do the work, just to be sure that I was doing it right.

I have to say that my daddy was impressed with me, though I don't know why since he and I had replaced many brakes in the past. He told me that I'm going to have to handle the auto mechanics in the family after he's gone or until he got better.

I was having trouble getting the rotors off (I was going to take them to the auto parts store and have them turned) and of course dad was way too weak to even attempt it. My next door neighbor came over and gave it a shot to no avail.

Well, where the neighbor worked, there was a guy who worked in the fleet car shop who had the tools that we needed to get the job done. So off my car went. The neighbor and I started talking and I mentioned that I was trying to find a better job. He gave me his sister's card (she's a head hunter).

A few weeks later my daddy lost his battle with cancer. I had made a promise to him that I was going to find a better job and make a good life for myself so that I could help my mother through her grief by not being a burden to her.

A month after my dad's passing, I landed a job through the neighbor's sister. I met my husband at that job. A year and a half after I started working there, hubby and I were married.

So you see, one door closed, but another one opened. Had my father not been so sick the neighbor would have never come over to help, he would have never given me that card and I probably would have never met my better half.

I've mentioned before that I miss my dad; however, as I look over at the wonderful man sitting next to me on this couch I thank my lucky stars that I was led to such a man.

So to my darling husband. Happy Father's Day.

What would you like for dinner tonight?

1 comment:

Comments are not moderated. Disagreement is fine as long as you address the message, not the messenger. In other words, don't be an ass.