Sunday, June 26, 2011

Random thoughts about yesterday's shoot........

Yesterday, when we were shooting the long guns, there was a dad and his little girl shooting a .22 rifle.  It, of course immediately took me back to when I was little and would tag along with my dad to the gun range, learning to shoot and it brought a smile on my face.

The girl was probably between 8 and 10 years old and the dad, I would guess in his early 30's.  They were quite a pair.  She, with her blonde hair, shorts and cowboy boots and him with all the patience and pride in his little girl every time she fired that gun.  It was exactly as I remember range trips with my dad.

Yeoldfurt brought a gun that Borepatch is sure to give a range report on in the near future.  This thing was a monster!  I was planning on firing it, but after Borepatch took the first shot, I decided that since I didn't have on a shooting vest, it was more gun than my shoulder would want to take, so regrettably, I passed.  I hope that at the next blogshoot, if Yeoldfurt can make it, that he will bring it out again because next time I will bring a vest just for that little extra cushion.

I think that one of the nicest things that was said to me yesterday was by Yeoldfurt when he mentioned how glad he was to see someone of the female persuasion who really appreciates guns and who actually enjoys firing high powered rifles.  (I guess you don't see that real often)  The fact of the matter is that I do appreciate guns, probably even more so than my better half, and I was away from them for way too long, but I'm so glad to be shooting again.  Yesterday, I was like a kid in a candy store.  I don't know, maybe I'm a weirdo, but the joy that I experienced yesterday was just unbelievable to me and it's a memory that I will always be able to cherish.

At this point, my skills aren't that great; however, I am improving with every trip to the range.  There are so many things that I have to learn (reloading my own ammo is one) and so many things that I have to re-learn (field stripping and cleaning my guns) but that will all come in time.

The fact of the matter is that my own enjoyment of guns and shooting began with a little blond-headed girl wearing shorts and cowboy boots, going to the range with her daddy.  I learned very quickly that when I would fire my own 22 and hit my target that I would be rewarded by the sound of a proud father saying, "Great shot, baby!" followed by a swelling look of pride on his face.

So yesterday, as I watched the father/daughter duo shooting that rifle, I couldn't help but think of her as a future lady gunnie will grow up and appreciate the pure joy of shooting.


No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments are not moderated. Disagreement is fine as long as you address the message, not the messenger. In other words, don't be an ass.